Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Living Room

Because I have such fond memories of my grandma and grandpa and my time spent with them, I have fond memories of their first house.  
As you came down the stairs from the second floor you walked into the living room. There was a fireplace and mantle on the far wall.  To the left of the staircase was a desk and that is where I spent a lot of time.  I played "office."  There was a black rotary dial phone sitting on the desk and I can still remember their phone number. You could hold the push buttons down and pretend to "talk" on the phone.  There was a "real" old-fashioned fountain pen with a nib that you put in the ink well to gather up the ink onto the pen to write.  The ink was blue or black and I loved writing with that pen. The pad of stationary was blank but there was an undercover sheet that had lines on it so you could see the lines and write straight.  
Further to the left was the entrance to the kitchen and past that was the couch or "sofa."  Over the sofa was a beautiful mirror which is up at the cottage now.  
The floor was hardcover with a rug and the registers were flat, black grates that were on the floor.  We used my grandma's pots and pans to "cook" on the grates.  
I can still see my grandma sitting in her chair by the fireplace doing her daily crossword puzzle.  Her pencil was always short and stubby because she used a knife to sharpen it.  
I also remember the time she repaired my teddy bear by re-stuffing his nose with cotton and sewing it closed.  She also put new buttons on for his eyes.
Every night my grandma and grandpa would read their Bible out loud and then turn around and get down on their knees beside the couch or chair and my grandpa would pray.  They prayed for their grandchildren every night.  What an example they were. 
We did a lot of living in that living room.

1 comment:

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

What strikes me about my grandparents house is how small it was, but it never seemed small then!!
I also slept upstairs, but I was always a little scared because of the closets under the eves. My Grandma slept up there with me but she woke up earlier than I did, so I always had to carefully get past the closets in the morning!