Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Little Room

I remember it so well; almost every detail...right down to the tiny window in the peak. It was on the second floor in the front of the house.  There was a black iron bed in the middle of the room near the wall.  I loved to sleep in that bed; it seemed just the right size for me.  There was a door at the other end of the room that went up to the attic; one used for storage only.  There was a window next to the door where I could see the street light and so, the room was never completely dark.  I spend many nights in that room; it was my dad's old room at my grandma's house.  One of the first times I slept there, I wasn't very old, I heard a noise that I thought was a wild animal like a bear.  I was so scared, I put my head under my pillow.  Later in the morning I told my grandma about it and she laughed and said it was probably her, snoring.  For such a tiny little woman she had a very loud snore.  I am told I may have inherited that snore.  
Some nights before bed I would lay in my grandma's bed and watch her do her hair.  She had very long hair; I don't think she ever cut it. She wore in a bun in the day and at night I would watch her take all the pins out and brush it.  She brushed it 100 times; she told me that was good to do to make your hair shine.  Then I would go into my own little room and look at the shadows from the street light until I fell asleep.  

1 comment:

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

LOVE Grandma stories!! I have such fond memories of mine too.