Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Phone




When did this little black thing come into my life?  About two-and-a-half years ago.  Don came home from the store with it.  He NEVER does things like that. At first I wasn't too happy, but then I learned how to use it and then facebook came into my life and NOW I don't go anywhere without it. 

I go back to the era of a rotary dial phone that sat on a desk with a cloth-type wire.  Phone numbers back then came with letters like WE (for Webster), GA (for Garfield),TR (Trinity), and KE (Kenwood). We also had a party line where you shared a line with another family.  I can't tell you how many quarrels that started.  You could actually listen in on the conversation.  Then came the WALL phone in colors.  It was almost always in the kitchen so you could match it with your kitchen, such as turquoise, or beige, or harvest gold. Then came the longer cords where you could stretch it out and go all over your kitchen.  Along about that time they introduced the Princess Phone which was sleeker, had more pastel colors and was for your bedroom.  And party lines ceased to exist thank goodness. People started putting phones in other rooms like a den or basement.  You had to pay for each "extension."

Finally came the cordless phone-oh what excitement.  Every time I watch a re-run of "Friends" or "Seinfeld,"  I laugh at the size of the old cordless phones; they were huge with long antenas.
  
Alas, now we have so many different phones that we don't know what to do with them.  I am not sure why they call some phones the "Smart Phones," they only make me feel dumb and dumber.  This is my second Blackberry and I am still having trouble figuring it out.  All I need to work is the camera, the texting, facebook, my emails, the weather and how to make or receive a call. Iknow it has more apps than that.  And who coined the word APP?   Who would have thought that phones could do all this and a hundred things more.  I feel like my blackberry is already "old fashioned."  But I like it and feel secure when it is in my pocket or near to me. 

 When did we feel the need to be so attached to something?  I was doing a Bible Study by Dee Brestin and the question was asked "What, if taken from you or denied you, would make you feel desperate?"  I was ashamed at my answer.  Dee went on to say "The truth is, if we are that desperate about something else, even a good thing, it is probably a false god in our lives, squeezing out any room for the presence of the true God."  Something to think about.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Interesting post.

Karen said...

there is freedom in living with less :)

my answer to that question would be my kids. you don't want to hear the dream that woke me up (and kept me awake) since 4:15 this am.

Unknown said...

I had my family down also for that question, but it said "things" so that is what I went for. And, no I don't want to hear about your dream :(

Unknown said...

P.S. Like freedom in having less. There's a whole blog right there :)

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

I always wonder how our parents ever let us go anywhere without being able to contact us!!!

They are handy little buggars!
Yours does a whole lot more than mine.