Friday, December 21, 2012

Pe'pe'

We called my mother's father Pe'pe.' Her mother had died when my mom was thirteen years old so we only know her through her pictures.  
Pe'pe' was quite a character.  He was a big ole hunk of man and was quite brusque and loud.  He smoke a pipe and cigars and my mom kept a bean-bag ashtray for him. I remember him sitting in a chair by the window smoking. 
He would sometimes come and spend a few nights and sometimes he and my mom would have some heated discussions.  He would get his hair cut here with clippers and would sing at the top of his lungs.  I remember "Ole Sole' Mio and something about File' Gumbo; and I'm not sure the spelling is correct on those. 
His relatives came from Quebec (originally France) and settled in Boston before some of them came here.  They all have French names.
I was just a little bit afraid of him; just enough to keep a little distance between us. He was a car salesman before he retired and I am sure he was the perfect salesman. 
He was the first person I knew to die.  I was about fifteen.  
He was quite a character and I am sure some of our relatives have some of his looks and personality.  

Pe'pe' walking my mom down the aisle
  

No comments: