Wednesday, December 5, 2012

All Around the Neighborhood

Growing up on the fringes of our home, were lots of places we could walk to.  Because of the one-car-per family, I think they built a lot of stores close by the neighborhood that you could walk to.  
On each side of me, were two girls my age, Claudia and Carol; both of them very cute.  I felt like a giant next to them because I was so tall and skinny as a growing child....and by sixth grade I had to wear glasses-yes those funny glasses that you see in pictures of yesteryear.  The three of us friends played pretty well together, but as in the case of three girls, sometimes one of us got mad as the other two paired off.  I usually had to be the "leader," the "teacher," or the "president"-of some club I organized. I am sure I was a little bossy.
There was a "corner store" that was two or three blocks away, and often my mother would send me there for a loaf of bread or some milk.  I do remember the bread costing a quarter.
In the same strip of stores was a hardware store called Bushey's and I remember being in there with my dad.  It smelled like wood.  I think they had lumber in the back.
We walked to school several blocks; and I remember my mom taking me to my first day of school.  I cried as she left, but I loved my kindergarten teacher.  She was pretty, young and had sigh....red shoes and I loved them and her.  
Down in the other direction of Bushey's was another strip of stores with a Kresge's and Cunningham drug store that had the round stools that you could sit on.  We had ice cream there sometimes.  The Kresge's had wooden floors and I loved that store.  I was allowed to walk there with my friends when I was a little older-maybe 5th. grade.  I remember one Easter when all the stores were closed on Good Friday from noon until 3:00.  Yes they did that back then.  When the stores reopened my friend and I walked up to Kresge's and the had fresh daffodils for sale.  I remember buying them for my mom....I have liked daffodils ever since.  
My BFF lived in the next block and we played together many times.  There was a empty lot next to her house and we used to play Gene Autry, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans.  We made her younger sister play the horse.....funny....poor girl.  
The thing I remember the most was playing tag in the summer until the "street lights" came on and then we all went in the house to get ready for bed.  I have some fond memories of that neighborhood.  

                         End of Part 4

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Interesting read~ especially since I missed this part of your life. :)