Thursday, May 17, 2018

Time To Plant These Jewel Seeds

  Every Summer I plant these seeds-the Nasturtium.  The seeds are big enough to see which is a plus because some seeds are so small you can hardly see them.  
 First I get a big pot filled with dirt and plant them in circles around in the pot.  They come up fast and soon they are spilling out of the pot.  I put those in my kitchen herb garden because they are edible, both the leaves which are peppery tasting and the flower.  They look so pretty in a nice summer salad.  
 Then I plant them around the Rose Garden in the back.  We call it the Rose Garden as it used to have Roses in it.  They have all died but we still call it that.  It has various plants in it.
 I always buy Botanical Interests Seeds and you can find them at Ace Hardware or other garden places.  I usually buy the multi-colored Trailing Single Blend, but this year I found the Cherry Rose Jewel Nasturtium as well.  They will be beautiful cascading out of the big pot or around the Rose Garden.   
 I also use the leaves and flowers to make an herb vinegar.  They add a nice taste to the vinegar and color it as well; great for salads!!
 One thing, is to make sure chance of frost is gone.  This year could be kind of iffy because of the sudden changes in weather.  
 So pick yourself up a couples packages of Nasturtiums-you will be glad you did!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, maybe I will.