Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Way Back When-sday


                            

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays right after the Fourth of July.  There are so many memories from when I was a child and as I grew up, got married and had my own children.  The picture on the top is my mom and dad's first Thanksgiving after they got married.  They were living with my grandma and grandpa then. I have looked at this picture many times and never noticed my other grandfather sitting on the far left.  This is my mom's dad and we called him Pe'pe'.  His family originated from Quebec and settled in Massachusetts.  He was quite a character and died when I was about 15.  He smoked cigars and I can still remember the smell of them.  He had a bean-bag ashtray.  I know my mom didn't like it, but she let him do it anyway.  He loved to sing (at the top of his voice) and I am trying to remember the song he always sang.  I'll bet my dad remembers; he remembers things like that.
Unfortunately, the last Thanksgiving for my mom was just before she got sick and eventually died.  The picture has wonderful memories now-I used to have trouble looking at it.  About a week later she started to get short of breath and got sicker and sicker.  For some reason I took this picture of her with her Rosemary depression glass dishes that she gave to me.  
More memories tomorrow. 

3 comments:

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Donaldo!
Love the picture of your Mama and her pretty dishes.

Kathy said...

Nice. But, ahem, Pepe smoked a pipe I think.......

Unknown said...

You are right but he also smoked cigars ;)