Saturday, November 24, 2012

Can You Teach An Old Dog Old Tricks?

Two years ago Kristen and I got new sewing machines.  They were Christmas presents.  We opened hers and read the directions and got it threaded and did some practice sewing and......that is it....until Kristen went to a women's retreat this fall and took a sewing class and made some beautiful bags.
Oh dear, Ryan and Cavan are looking over my shoulder proof-reading.  
Back to my story:  Kristen is here this weekend and we got my sewing machine out.  I found an easy doll dress pattern and got to sewing.  After a broken needle (you can't sew over the pins) and a re-threading (after threading it wrong) I got to finally sew the dress.  I am not happy with the way it turned out, but Riley is okay with it. Practice makes perfect do you think?
I haven't sewn in twenty years.  In days gone by, I sewed all the time.  I made clothes, little stuffed dolls, and men's ties.  I feel all thumbs now and my goal is to make doll clothes for the girls, and most of all, I would love to make a quilt.
Since Cavan is still looking at this while I write (Ryan lost interest), I will probably make some PJ's for Cavan :)  Cavan drew me and papa a very nice picture and made papa a leather belt at camp for his birthday. Oops, Ryan is back and so is Joy Boy.  JB wants pants for his Noni (his teddy bear). Does Ryan want PJ's? We will see (oops, no he doesn't think so).
So the sewing all boils down to "stick-to-it-ness." 
Can I persevere and get some of my sewing skills back?  


1 comment:

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

Good for you for getting to it! There will be lots of time this winter to perfect your skills!