Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The People That You Meet

The people that come to Day Treatment are hurting so much.  At first it overwhelmed me and I thought "who am I to be so depressed?"  But I identified with many of their thoughts and feelings.  We are together all day for different classes and then there is an hour-and-a-half of "group therapy."  This is where we vent and share and others help us with their insight.  It is amazing that others have sympathy for others and not for themselves.  Somehow we all feel undeserving of having compassion for ourselves.  
The new lady on Monday was in a plane crash with her husband who was the pilot of their small plane.  He broke some bones and she is paralyzed from the waist down and in a wheelchair.  She got depressed a few months later.  There is a fire fighter who was injured on the job; had surgery and is in a lot of pain and can't work.  His wife left him.  There is my friend who has been there longer than I have and she is Bipolar and has been in and out of the hospital for years.  She is a victim of parental incest.  There are divorces where the husband is controlling and there is a young gal with an eating disorder that thinks she looks awful, and she looks great.  And there is the man that got discharged yesterday who's wife died last year and he is lost and the house and finances are a mess and he doesn't know where to start.  So much hurt, so many stories.  My bipolar friend is an artist and we have prayed together.  I have the Lord in my life and I can't imagine going through this depression without Him.  
Yesterday we had Music Therapy and we all got to play instruments; chimes, drums, something that sounds like an ocean and it was very relaxing to play these instruments all together. Part of therapy is working on self-esteem which is a big part of depression.  Today is another day and I look forward to learning more. This is my life for the next week and after that I have to structure my life with more things to do for me outside of my house.  Any ideas?

2 comments:

Carol said...

Thanks for sharing, Marlene! Hard days but I pray healing days. So good to know we are not alone. Here's my idea: make an appointment with yourself to do some type of Bible Study. Go to the library or a coffee shop one time a week and complete it. Another idea-take a class at a craft store (Michaels, Joanns or one of the shops in Northville).

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

Even though this is hard work, it is encouraging to hear about it!
Carol had a lot of good ideas. Making little goals and reaching them is good for us.

I have another, we could finally meet for tea, like we have been talking about doing for a while!

I think the most important thing you said was that you couldn't imagine going through this without the Lord.
A dear woman from BSF said something yesterday that struck me. She said we should use everything we go through for God's glory, the good and the bad. Then she said "don't waste your suffering" Wow, what a cool perspective.

Praying for healing and strength for you today.