Saturday, July 6, 2013

The Eve Of......



....my 65th birthday, I wonder how I got to be this age.  Here I am in the picture on my first birthday in our band new house.  The hymn writer wrote it well that "Life at best is very brief; like the falling of a leaf."  I have been making a scrapbook of all my baby pictures and other mementos my mother and I have saved and it has been a walk down memory lane; so many of them.
I can't think of where the time has gone, but I also am thinking what to I want to do in the remaining time I have left.  Of course I have always thought the Lord would come before I died and perhaps He will.  That would be the greatest way to end my life on earth.  Both my mother and grandmother told me they thought He would come in my lifetime.  That doesn't make is so, but I have held on to that hope.
I look at the little girl here and I don't recognize her because I don't remember being one.  I am glad my mom kept the pictures and gave them to me.
I am on Medicare now of course, and that always follows with a few jokes here and there.  But tonight I am thinking of my blessings and wish I could name them all one by one, but there are too many.

*I was born into a Christian family
*I had wonderful grandparents
*My dad had a good job
*I had good friends in school
*I had Christian friends outside of school
*I was born again when I was young
*I married a wonderful Christian husband who provided well for us
*I got to work part-time when the kids were little
*I have Christian friends now
*I had three children-a boy and two girls who have seven children (our grandchildren) among them and are responsible,loving parents.
*I have gone on some lovely vacations
*I live in the old homestead
*I have lots of siblings........ a little trying, sometimes :)
*God loves me
*I love God

I feel like I should only be forty-eight or something like that, but I am slowing down a bit; things aren't quite the same as they used to be.  It's the new normal and as long as I keep a sense of humor things should go well.  I am thankful to so many people for investing time in my life both past and present and for praying for me.  I can't complain...I will leave the belly piercing and tattoos to those others who are searching for something different in life.  I don't like different so much anymore; I like what I have.  So cheers to my 65th year; may the Lord make it meaningful to Him.


3 comments:

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

I love your thoughts!
Happy Birthday Girlfriend, and many, many more!!!

Marjorie Meinzinger said...

Happy Medicare Birthday! Sorry I missed posting on it. It's funny. For our 46 th anniversary I made a list of 46 good memories to give Dave. I liked your counting of blessings. God has been good to you. Enjoy your first year on Medicare. I had TWO surgeries during my first year.

Kathy said...

Be in time! Sing it Mr. Kerr! :) I feel like you should be in your forties and I should be in my 30's!!