Friday, June 1, 2018

Why I Scrapbook

I think scrapbooking or crops as they used to be called started out as a social entity.  
Women got together and scrapbooked like they used to get together and quilt,  I belong to a group that meets at a Scrapbook Store once a month, although I must say, I haven't been there in a few months.  I love the social part of scrapbooking with friends but I do not like lugging all my stuff there.  I can scrapbook at home because I have a room, a closet and a table and all my supplies are withing reach.  

But why do I keep doing it?  I wonder myself sometimes and I wonder who is going to look at them all.  But I decided they give me pleasure in looking back at things and remembering what we did.  

It also appeals to the creative side of me that wants to put colors and shapes together.  I love the paper; it's like having a piece of material to work with.  I love the embellishments; it adds form and body to the page.  And lastly I like to do it because when I don't feel like doing anything else, I do it to have a sense of accomplishment; saying "at least I got something done today."  It's an easy way to put off something you probably should be doing,

Scrapbooking isn't for the faint of heart though.  You have to be in a good mood because if you aren't the ideas won't come.  I find once I start I am okay and can keep going for awhile.  

I have done it for about 19 years and when our first-born grandchild came around it really picked up because there were pictures galore. Now vacations also go into the books and the page about is from our time in Florida this winter.   

I have always liked taking pictures and what better thing to do with them but put them in a nice album.  So I keep plugging along all the time knowing I will never finish putting all the pictures I have in an album.  When I'm gone I'm sure they will go out in the trash with all the other things my children don't need.  

I am not being harsh just realistic, I think. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmmm

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

I too love my completed pages! I struggle with the time it takes. My books are so spotty! I am Considering taking some stuff to FLORIDA w me next winter when we go for a few months. Hoping to make a big dent then!