Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Olden Days

Yes folks, I was born back in the olden days.  I remember my mother talking about the olden days and now, somehow, I am living them.  This birthday coming up is the hardest one of all so far. I don't know why, must be that medicare card in my wallet. The word "senior citizen" has taken on a whole new meaning.  Don't get me wrong, I am glad to be alive and all that but when a recorded message starts with "If you ever fall down...will you be able to get help..." I think the phone call is for my dad. I have a lot to be thankful for and I will admit that.  But this is another time of transition as I adjust to the word "senior." 

Some interesting facts from 1948:

Sugar cost 85 cents for 10 pounds
Milk cost 87 cents per gallon
Coffee was 60 cents a pound
Eggs were 23 cents a dozen
Ground hamburger cost 45 cents a pound
Bread was 14 cents a loaf

First class stamps were 3 cents each
Gas was 16 cents a gallon
A movie ticket cost 60 cents each
A new car was $1,230.00
Average Income was $2,936.00 a year
A new house was $7,700.00
Rent was $70 a month

And guess who was president?  President Harry S. Truman.  Now we are talking a long time ago.  

When I was about 10 years old I remember my mom giving me a quarter to walk up to the corner store to buy a loaf of bread.  

"The richness of life lies in the memories we have forgotten."  

I am sure I will remember a few more things before the "big day."

3 comments:

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

WOW! Times have SURE changed!
Gas was unimaginable!

Kathy said...

did u look that up or remember it? if so, your brain is still working pretty good!

Marjorie Meinzinger said...

Fun info. I've enjoyed reading your blogs . You are inspiring me to write on mine.